AP was founded in La Grande, Oregon, in 1975 by professional engineers Steve Anderson and Howard Perry, who wanted a reprieve from the congestion, pollution, and noise of big metropolitan cities. Their dream was to be able to make a decent living while raising their families away from the “hustle and bustle” of big city life. Over 40 years later, and with nearly 100 employees and several offices located in rural Oregon and Washington, their dream has developed far beyond their expectations.
AP’s culture is centered on the idea that work is a means to an end…where the end is spending more time with family and friends doing the things we enjoy. Steve and Howard fostered the idea of “work-life balance” long before the millennial generation made the concept so popular, and the firm holds true to that vision today.
Our Approach to Customer Service
As part of AP’s focus on customer service, we have built our business around the idea of serving rural clients in Oregon and Washington. Our clients include cities, counties, and special purpose districts (e.g., water and sewer, irrigation, conservation, ports, etc.); various state and federal agencies; and private sector clients. While consulting firms from metropolitan cities occasionally wander out to do a project here and there, few are willing to make the long-term investment to set up shop and provide continuous service after a project is complete. AP is committed to serving the rural areas of Oregon and Washington for many years to come.
At AP, we don’t utilize a one-size-fits-all approach. We tailor our projects to meet the individual needs of each and every client. AP’s designs not only meet current needs, but also provide for future growth. With our solid understanding of rural politics, geology, geography, and weather trends, we design practical, flexible, and sustainable rural solutions.
Our Commitment to Community
Our commitment to community extends beyond our clients and employees to our schools, our service organizations, and our children.
- AP is a strong supporter of higher education. Beginning in 1985, the AP Board of Directors developed a scholarship program. Since the inception of the program, AP has given over $100,000 worth of scholarships to graduating high school seniors.
- AP sponsor’s kids’ sports teams, from softball and Little League teams, to soccer and football teams.
- AP annually hosts a La Grande Chamber of Commerce banquet table to support community development.
- AP organizes holiday giving to local service organizations such as the Blue Mountain Animal Shelter, Shelter from the Storm, area elementary school libraries, and the Salvation Army.
- AP participates in community fundraisers for local charities and organizations.
- AP staff members volunteer for community clean-up events for highways and parks.
“We are a very community- and family-oriented company. We’re tremendously proud of our staff and their community involvement. We have excellent, dedicated employees who care about what they do.” – Brad Baird, AP President